Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup


After a traumatic day at the dentist (found out I have to have all my wisdom teeth extracted, sob.), I’ve decided to comfort myself. With food. How typical.
Costco makes, by far, the best chicken noodle soup in the entire world. If I can make this taste 1/10th as delicious as Costco does, I’ll consider it a success.
  • 2 lbs. Chicken Breasts (with skin & bone)
  • 4 quarts (16 cups) Water
  • 3 cubes Chicken Bouillon
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, whole
  • 4-5 Carrots, diced*
  • 4-5 Stalks of Celery (plus the leaves), diced*
  • 1 small Yellow Onion, diced
  • 1 t. Salt
  • 1 t. Turmeric
  • ½ t. Black Pepper
  • 1-2 T. Parsley (I used freeze-dried because I didn’t have any fresh parsley on hand)
  • ½ t. Dried Thyme (Didn’t have any thyme on hand so I sub’d Poultry Seasoning from World Market- consists of marjoram, sage, and rosemary)
  • 1 16-oz bag of frozen egg noodles

*I like my soup to have lots of big, chunky vegetables. Everything was a really large dice. Also, I didn’t have any on hand- but I usually like to throw in a few diced parsnips. Yum.

Bring the chicken, water, and bouillon cubes to a boil in a large pot. Reduce the heat and simmer for 35 minutes. I obsessively skimmed the top every 2 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the pot, and pull as much meat from the bones as you can. Continue to simmer the broth on low. I like to leave the chicken in larger pieces, but you could shred it if you prefer smaller pieces of chicken. Discard the skin.


Set the meat aside, and return the bones to the broth.  At this point, I also added ¼ of the onion, the ugly bits of the celery, and a carrot. I don’t know why- I think I just really wanted to have some color in that ugly pot of boiling chicken parts. Simmer the bones  and whole garlic cloves for 45-60 minutes.  Skim the surface to remove the fat.


Remove the bones, ugly bits of vegetables left over, and garlic cloves (if you can find them! Mine were elusive little shits.) Add in your chopped up celery, carrots, and onions! Also add your salt, spices & herbs. Stir to combine and simmer for 10 minutes.


Add the meat and noodles. Turn the heat up and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes, until the noodles are done.


If you’re like Michael- add a million smashed saltine crackers.

And if you’re like me- squirt in some Sriracha. And stage a giant unflattering bite for the camera.

1 comment:

  1. future MIA (hopefully)July 9, 2011 at 7:58 AM

    I've always felt that the secret ingredient in my chicken noodle soup was the marjoram. Also, the reemes noodles. They are very similar to the homemade noodles I used to make (note the word "used") and so much easier!

    ReplyDelete