Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cake Balls!


Spring Break means I have waaaaaay too much time on my hands!
My Schedule / To-Do List for the day:
  • Start the laundry [we've accumulated approximately 400 loads over the past 10 days]
  • Bake a cake for Cake Balls
  • Research which vegetables thrive in Arizona's climate for my garden
  • Switch the laundry over / start a new load
  • Let the cake cool for 30 minutes
  • Fold laundry / start a new load 
  • Study for my anatomy practical next week
  • Roll the cake into balls, stick them in the fridge for two hours
  • Switch the laundry over / start a new load / fold laundry
  • Check on the Cake Balls a million times to see if they've hardened. Get impatient. Put them in the freezer.
  • Laundry. 
  • Watch Law & Order: SVU
  • Dip/Decorate the Cake Balls
  • Laundry.
  • Laundry.
  • Laundry.
Life is really exciting these days.

I made a Pillsbury Funfetti Cake with Betty Crocker Rainbow Chip Frosting. It's Micheal's favsies.
Prepare & Bake as directed on the package for a 13"x9" pan. 
Cool 30 minutes.
Cut the hardened borders & corners away. Discard. Or eat. I ate.
I cut the cake into smaller pieces to make it easier to crumble.
Mix in 1/2 to 3/4 of the tub of frosting, until the mixture looks like stiff cookie dough.
Roll the dough into 1" balls. Refrigerate (if you're patient) or freeze (if you're me) until hardened.
Once the balls are hardened, dip into the melted candy coating (I used milk chocolate) using two forks.
Decorate them right away! They harden fast, so you have limited time to get things to stick.
I threw mine into little candy foil-cups I picked up at Hobby Lobby.

Cake Balls
  • Box of Cake Mix, Any Flavor
  • Tub of Frosting, Any Flavor
  • Candy-Coating
  • Sprinkles/Shredded Coconut/Colored Sugar/Chopped Nuts/Anything!
  1. Bake the cake in a 9"x13" baking dish according to the directions.
  2. Allow the cake to cool for 30 minutes- cut around the edges of the cake to remove the hardened borders & corners.
  3. Crumble the cake into a large bowl- mix 1/2 to 3/4 of the frosting, until the cake starts to resemble a dense cookie dough.
  4. Roll the dough into one inch balls, place on wax paper. Refrigerate for 2 hours (or put in the freezer until hardened).
  5. Dip the balls into the candy coating, place on waxed paper, decorate however you want!

5 comments:

  1. delicious! you're so domestic i love it!:
    )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your recipe/blog SuMi....I'm gonna make these for my boys!

    xoxo,

    Jessica C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried them with red velvet and chocolate cake but never funfetti! I bet those were GOOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU are amazing! I love your blog and have inspired me in so many ways, cooking/baking is one of them. Thank you for being you. <3 you!

    Sheera :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this long comment doesn't post twice, but it doesn't seem to be working!

    Good for you for doing a garden! You can grow almost anything here where we live. And we can actually garden year-round here unlike most people in colder climates! The problem here is that you have to start early in the spring in order for the veggies to be harvestable before it gets REALLY HOT. We started most of our stuff a month ago! Right now you could probably still throw out some corn, watermelon, and squash seeds. You could also buy some tomato and pepper plants from Home Depot and put them in the ground. Try to get the biggest plants you can find to catch up for lost time! At the end of August or beginning of September is when you should sow your broccoli, carrot, lettuce, green bean, and pea seeds! Plant garlic cloves and onion seeds in October because they take 7-8 months to be fully ready. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete