Wednesday, March 16, 2011

St Patrick's Day!

 Menu:
The smallest one I could find was 3.48lbs.

I don't know what 'corned beef' is. I, literally, had to research it before I could commit to making it into a meal. Michael requested Corned Beef & Cabbage for St. Patrick's Day, and I'm on Spring Break and have nothing better to do..so.. I'm committed!

I was raised by a Korean; she didn't ever make us corned beef! Last time I had a grilled cheese sandwich at my parents' house, she made me a grilled cheese... with pepper-jack cheese on cinnamon raisin bread. She's not exactly a connoiseur of American/European food, so a lot of things I want to try to cook take some serious research before I can commit to making them. Corned Beef and Cabbage is no exception.

After googling, looking through cookbooks, and scouring allrecipes.com, I've come to the conclusion that it seems kinda... gross. and bland. But Michael loves it, so I'm determined for this to be successful! Therefore, I'm making up a recipe based on what I think might work out. Will it taste good? I don't know. Will it be authentic? Definitely not. But it'll be my own! Let's pray it doesn't suck! :)

But want to know what was REALLY intimidating? Going through the giant mound of corned beef in the meat section at Sprout's. There were 4 different kinds, all different weights, all different seasoning blends/cuts.. I don't know! I stood in front of all of them for about 15 minutes, reading all the ingredients and trying to sort out the differences. Eventually, an old woman came by, snatched up a package, and walked away.. She grabbed the green package, and so did I.

I still don't know what it's seasoned with. Oh, well!
The meat came covered in a weird, red, gelatinous substance.
It grossed me out.  
I gently rinsed it off before putting it into the pot.
I poured 1 1/2 bottles of light beer over my beef.
Happy St. Patty's Day, ya cow!
I filled the pot with water until it reached about one inch above the top of the beef.
I also threw it some garlic and chopped shallots.
Brought it to a boil, then simmered it- covered- for 3 hours.  
Once the meat was tender, I removed it from the liquid,
placed it on an oven-safe dish, covered it, then put it in a 200 degree oven.
Added carrots and potatoes to the pot.
Brought it to a boil, then reduced the heat to a simmer.
Simmered, covered, for 15 minutes.
Then I packed all the cabbage wedges and onions into the pot.
Brought it to a boil, then reduced the heat.
Simmered, covered, for 15 minutes.
While the cabbage was simmering, I sliced the meat. 
Once the vegetables were tender, I arranged the cabbage around the beef.
The potatoes and carrots didn't fit on the platter- 
so they went into a separate bowl.
They were not very photogenic so I have no documentation that they actually existed.. 
But they did.

Corned Beef & Cabbage
  • 3-4lb Corned Beef (mine came pre-seasoned)
  • 2 bottles Coors Light Beer (technically, I used 1 1/2... I have a drinking problem) 
  • 4 cloves Garlic, smashed
  • 2 large Shallots, roughly chopped
  1. Put the corned beef, beer, garlic, and shallot into a large stock-pot or dutch oven. 
  2. Cover everything with water (1/2" to 1" above the beef), throw a lid on it, and bring it to a boil. 
  3. Once it's boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 45 minutes per pound. My corned beef is 3.48 pounds, so I simmered it for 2 1/2 hours.
  4. After the corned beef has simmered for hours and is tender, double check: insert a skewer into the thickest part of the meat and make sure it easily slides in and out of the beef.
  5. Heat the oven to 200 degrees. Remove the corned beef from the pot and place it on a large dish, ladle some of the stock (approximately one cup) onto the meat. Cover it with foil, and place it in the oven.
  • 15 small Yukon Gold Potatoes
  • 6 Carrots, cut into 3" pieces
  • 1 head of Cabbage, cut into 6-8 wedges
  • 2 Yellow Onions, quartered
  1. Add the potatoes and carrots to the pot and bring the stock to a boil. Cover and simmer the vegetables until they begin to soften, approximately 10 minutes. 
  2. Add the cabbage wedges and quartered onion, bring to a boil then cover and simmer for another 10-15 minutes- until all vegetables are tender.
  3. Meanwhile, remove the meat from the oven. Slice meat across the grain (I'll also need to google how to do that), and return the meat to a platter. Arrange the vegetables around the meat, and serve.

2 comments:

  1. So, was it tasty?

    I tried to make corned beef and cabbage years ago when Ty and I first got married and I did something terribly wrong because it was disgusting! I've never tried again! Yours looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa-
    Michael, Tess, Russell & Michael's coworker said it was delish, but blegh! Corned Beef is never being made in this house again!! I'm not a fan- I think my sodium levels are through the roof after eating that thing!

    ReplyDelete