Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pumpkin Enchiladas

"I'm going to make enchiladas for dinner."
"oooooh.... What kind?"
"Chicken."
"Sounds good. Red or Green?"
"A spicy pumpkin sauce."
"I HATE PUMPKIN!"
"You do?"
"YOU KNOW I HATE PUMPKIN!"
"I didn't know that."
"Yes, you do! I've told you!!!"


So... I'm dating a 4 year old. But that's okay- because as long as I make the meals, he will eat whatever the heck I put on his plate. I don't mess around.

We had company for dinner last night- but I was too exhausted from nearly dying at the gym to cook a real meal, so we opted for "Make Your Own Chicken Sandwich Night" with a platter full of toppings (lettuce, tomato, avocado, pepperjack cheese, fresh roasted green chiles) and homemade roasted red pepper mayo w/ garlic and parsley. I had Michael grill a few extra chicken breasts for tonight's dinner.

Chicken Enchiladas with Spicy Pumpkin Sauce
[Don't be a skeptic- try this recipe!!]

  • 1/2 roast chicken (or rotisserie chicken, if you want to take a short-cut), skins discarded, meat shredded [in my case, three grilled chicken breasts]
  • 6 scallions, thinly sliced
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 8 Corn Tortillas
  • 1 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar
Pumpkin Sauce
  • 1 can (15 ounce) pumpkin puree (pure pumpkin- NOT pumpkin pie filling)
  • 4 gloves garlic
  • 1 jalapeno pepper (ribs and seeds removed for less heat- I only removed half the seeds)
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1. In a bowl, combine the shredded chicken and scallions. Season generously with salt and pepper; set aside.
    2. Place all the pumpkin sauce ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth.[I put the jalapeno and garlic in my mini-prep to 'chop' 'grind' 'chop' 'grind' them, then whisked all the ingredients together in a bowl. I'm going to cave and buy a blender this weekend.] Pour one cup of the pumpkin sauce into the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
    3. Divide the chicken mixture between the 8 tortillas. Roll them up tightly and place them seam side down over the sauce in the baking dish.
    4. Pour the remaining pumpkin sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the white cheddar.
    5. Place baking dish on a baking sheet; bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the cheese is golden and sauce is bubbling. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

    Michael, hater of all things pumpkin (unless they're covered in cream cheese frosting), really loved this recipe. I loved it too. Suuuuuper yummy!



    Sidenote: This recipe can be prepared up to 8 hours in advance- just cover it in saran wrap and throw it in the fridge. Add a few extra minutes to the cooking time.  

      1 comment:

      1. Sounds super yummy! I will be trying this one for sure!
        p.s. after you posted your chicken noodle soup recipe I ended making a big batch of it last Sunday....LOVED the frozen noodles!

        ReplyDelete