Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Chicken Burgers

I think somewhere in the universe there is a Rachel Ray recipe similar to this recipe. Several years ago, a friend made something kinda similar to these and I loved them. I tried to make my own variation, and... I don't mean to boast, but mine's better. Kidding. So good! Definitely make these!
Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Chicken Burgers
  • ½ Red Onion, minced
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • ¼ cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes, chopped into smaller pieces
  • ¼ cup Fresh Basil, chopped
  • 2/3 c. Bread Crumbs (I used italian-seasoned), plus an extra tablespoon for sprinkling
  • 1 Egg  White
  • Dash of Cayenne Pepper
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 1 lb. ground chicken breast 
  1. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the ingredients together until everything is evenly distributed. The meat will still be sticky. 
  2. Form into patties (I made 5, but could have easily made 6). 
  3. Sprinkle both sides of the patties REALLY lightly with the extra breadcrumbs (I only do this so they don't stick- but it's not necessary).
  4. Grill over medium heat until the patties are firm, and chicken is cooked through.
I have a trick for making the perfect patties that I read about on The Savory Sweet Life.
Find a lid about the same width as your buns.
(Mine was from a big giant container of Kirkland’s Chocolate Covered Raisins). Line the lid with saran wrap.
Smush the meat into the lid- build up the sides more than the middle, 
the edges always cook faster than the middle so this helps the burger cook evenly.
Grab the saran wrap to remove the patty, voila! Perfect patty!

I mixed equal parts Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto & Mayo for a spread. 
 
Used 100-calories thin-buns so I can have thin buns one day. 
Topped everything off with Lettuce, Tomato & Avocado.
We added mozzarella slices to our patties a few minutes before taking them off the grill. 
Served it with pasta salad.

1 comment: