Monday, April 18, 2011

Baked Chile Rellenos

I didn't want to go grocery shopping last week. As a direct result of that decision, we didn't have any home-cooked meals and were nutrient deprived for 5 days straight. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't starving- in fact, I gained weight. Pizza & potato chips will do that to you.

I've had such a hard time keeping up with WeightWatchers, and I think it is mostly because of my lack of planning. Physical therapy is taking over so much of my spare time that we've had late, quick meals almost every night. But this week will be dedicated to more efficient time-management! I'm going to menu plan, count points, and try to get everything back on track.


Our first meal of the week? Chile Rellenos!
For my sake, I'm baking them instead of frying them.
For Michael's sake, I'm adding meat.
Call this recipe whatever you want, but don't call it authentic Mexican food!

I started by roasting poblano chiles in my oven until they were black & blistered.
I did this in the morning, to save myself some time later.
I threw them in tupperware to cool.
Once the chiles cool, you can easily remove the skin.
I also removed all the seeds & membranes.
Sautee the onions until translucent, then toss in the garlic until fragrant.
Add the chicken chorizo, season with cayenne & garlic powder.
Cook over medium heat until chicken is cooked.
Grease a baking dish.
Cover half the chile with chorizo, top with pepperjack & shredded cheese.
Fold the other half of the chile over the filling.
I took a break at this point, wrapped it in saran wrap, and did some homework.
Whisk together the eggs, flour, baking powder & milk.
I also opted to season it with salt, pepper, a dash of cayenne & some garlic powder.
 Cover the chiles with the egg mixture.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
Remove the dish from the oven.
Spread 3/4 cup of enchilada sauce over the top (we used El Pato), and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Let it sit for about 10 minutes before serving.

Baked Chile Rellenos
  • 4 poblano chiles
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 lb. chicken chorizo* (I picked mine up at Sprout's)
  • Dash of: cayenne pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tablespoon flour 
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup shredded mexican blend cheese, separated
  • 2 slices pepperjack cheese, cut in half (need 4 pieces)
  •  3/4 cup canned enchilada sauce
  • 1 green onion, sliced thin
  1. Roast the poblanos either in the broiler on on the grill, until the skin is black and blistered. Place poblanos into a ziplock bag (or tupperware) and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Once the chiles have cooled, remove the skin, seeds, and innards. Cut the tops off and lay the chiles flat. Set aside.  
  2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  3. Spray a pan with non-stick spray. Sautee the onions over medium until soft and translucent, about two minutes. Add the garlic, sautee until fragrant. Add the chicken chorizo, season with the spices, and cook until done. Drain the meat, if necessary. 
  4. Grease a baking dish with nonstick spray. Mound the meat on one side of the chile, top with half a slice of pepperjack, sprinkle a tablespoon shredded cheese. Fold the other half of the chile over, and place in the baking dish.
  5. Combine the eggs, flour, baking powder, and milk. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add in a dash of cayenne and garlic powder.
  6. Spread egg mixture over the chiles and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven, top with 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, remaining shredded cheese, and return to the oven for another 20 minutes.
  7. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Top with green onions.

Serves 4
Points+ / Serving: 9
*If you eliminate the chicken chorizo, it will bring the points down to 6 Points+ / Serving.

1 comment:

  1. i am always looking for more mexican dishes.. and this looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete