Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fresh Vietnamese Spring Rolls

One of my favorite places to eat is Saigon Pho in Chandler. It's super cheap, small, and sometimes it smells weird, but I'm a big fan of their chicken pho & shrimp spring rolls, also known as #2 & #14. Everything on their menu is numbered so it's easier to order- some of the servers don't exactly have the best English, but it's never been an issue for me. Michael, on the other hand, can't understand a word they say. 

I want to branch out and try more of their menu items, but they don't have any freakin' descriptions so I don't know what anything is! If anyone considers themselves to be a connoisseur of Vietnamese food, feel free to point me in the right direction.

I ran to Asiana Market on Dobson/Southern to pick up some ingredients. My mom shops there for Korean groceries and I've been there several times with her- I know the layout and I feel comfortable perusing the aisles, even though I can't read the majority of the labels. Michael went with me and carried the basket- he cried the entire time because he left his CocaCola in the car and he was worried his ice would melt. 

This is what I picked up from the market. 
Rice Sticks and Rice Paper.
Follow the directions of the back to cook the Rice Sticks- 
bring water to a boil, add the sticks, and boil for 1-2 minutes. 
I grabbed the noodles out with a slotted spoon, and kept the water in the pot.
Let the noodles cool while you prep the vegetables.
I julienned carrots and cucumbers.
Trimmed the ends of bean sprouts.
Cut butter lettuce leaves into three pieces.
& grabbed mint, cilantro & basil from the garden.
This is the little set-up I had to make the rolls.
I also boiled shrimp (cook for 2 minutes in boiling salted water), 
and cut it in half from where you would de-vein it.
Dip a piece of rice paper into warm water (my noodle-boiling pot) for 3-4 seconds.
Place it on a plate; it'll continue to soften as it sits.
Place 2-3 pieces of lettuce on the bottom. Then rice sticks, then veggies.
Add the shrimp- pink side down.
Sprinkle with herbs.
Roll up reaaaaaally tight, like a burrito.
All of mine are different sizes, oops.
This was my first time.
Now mix together a dipping sauce!
3 tablespoons Hoisin Sauce.
1 tablespoon PB.
2 tablespoons water.
1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce.
Cut them on a diagonal.
Delicious!

WeightWatchers.com listed Fresh Vietnamese Spring Rolls as 2 Points+ each. 
uhh... Cha-ching! That means I can eat, like, 15 a day! 

1 comment: