On Mother's Day, I served this for dessert with homemade whipped cream and fresh berries (blackberries, blueberries & sliced strawberries). I asked Michael to describe how it tastes and his response was "NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!!" I'm flattered, but mostly embarrassed that the man I chose as my domestic partner says 'nom'.
It's such a good quickbread- some of the butter is replaced by avocado's healthy fats, it has a little crunch from the cornmeal, and it really does taste like avocados.
Avocado Pound Cake
My variation of JoyTheBaker's original recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cups flesh of ripe avocados, mashed (approx 2 small avocados )
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In the bowl of a stand-mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. About 4 minutes. Add in the mashed avocado, and cream everything together for another minute. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
- Sprinkle half the flour mixture over the creamed mixture, and mix until combined. Add the sour cream, mix until combined. Finally, add the rest of the flour and stir until just combined. Scrape the batter into prepared loaf pan, smooth down the top.
- Bake until a cake-tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, approximately 45-55 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool on a wire-rack.