Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sumi Salad

Do you ever... Google yourself? I do. I do ALL.THE.TIME.

I'm at a slight advantage over most people for various reasons-
1) My name is SuMi. Not exactly a common name.
2) My name is SuMi Yong Rushing. Good luck trying to find another one of those!

So, anyway- I google myself every once in awhile to see what my digital fingerprint looks like. I used to have a twitter, and that used to dominate the 'SuMi Rushing' search results. One day, a very sad day in my life, I googled myself and one of my old tweets came up- I was bitching about my period. Mortifying. Of all the tweets, that one came up first!? Gimme a break! But in the past couple months, things have died down- Google has forgotten about me, and life can go on. Apparently there is a Korean Opera singer, Sumi Jo, she dominates the 'SuMi' glory now, followed by a little cartoon racoon named Sumi  (one of the 2010 Olympic games mascot), and a lot of middle-aged women have cats named Sumi (lame). Wanna know what other SuMi is dominating me in Google? Sumi Salad.

Naturally, my curiosity got the best of me. What the heck is a sumi salad!? I pictured something really classy & refined, maybe served over a bed of exotic mixed greens, garnished with a dollop of expensive caviar. Or maybe a nice drizzle of truffle oil on top? I'd probably have to go to AJ's, the fanciest grocery store in my area, to get the ingredients for this amazing sumi salad. No, I'd probably have to go to France! 
Sigh. No. Not even close. It uses Ramen noodles. 



Sumi Salad
This is my variation based on what I've learned about Sumi salad from Google.
  • 1 3-ounce package ramen noodles
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds (omitted, I didn't have them on hand)
  • 1 small head of cabbage, diced into small squares or sliced thin 
  • 1 cup snap-peas, cut in half
  • 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped (or 4-5 green onions, sliced thin)
  • Handful of chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  1. Crush the uncooked ramen noodles into small pieces, discard the seasoning packet. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the crushed ramen noodles, and brown the noodle pieces in the butter until they are golden brown. Add the sesame seeds and slivered almonds, sautee for about one more minute then turn the heat off and let everything cool.
  2. Mix the vegetable oil, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar together in a small bowl. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, snap peas, chives/green onions, cilantro, and everything from the skillet. Toss with the dressing and serve.


Korean-Chicken Marinade
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 tablespoon goojoochang (Korean red chili paste)- optional
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  1. Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring the ingredients to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer until the sauce reduces. Turn off the heat and let the marinade cool. OR if you're lazy like I am- microwave for two minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to give everything a quick stir, then allow to cool.
  2. Marinate chicken (I used cheap, delicious thighs) for 3-5 hours in the fridge.
  3. Grill.

I served the salad as a main-dish with Korean-marinated chicken on top.
To be honest, I don't know if what I concocted as a marinade can really be considered 'Korean', but I'm Korean, it's chicken, and it marinated for a few hours so.. 

To be honest, this salad was cabbage overload! If I make it again, which I will, I'll use half cabbage (preferably napa cabbage), half butter lettuce, add in some shredded carrots and maybe even some halved cherry tomatoes. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment