Friday, June 3, 2011

Fish Po'Boys

As you know, I joined Weight Watchers about 3 months ago. If you didn't know, yeah- I'm trying to reduce the size of my thighs. It happens. So Weight Watchers.. brace yourself, this is not a Weight Watchers endorsement. I GAINED SIX POUNDS ON WEIGHT WATCHERS!!!! What the heck! I counted my points, I made WW-friendly recipes, and then I watched my weight climb up the scales. Jennifer Hudson, you did me wrong.
I've been back to calorie-counting for the past week, and instant success- I've already lost three pounds. Wha-BAM! Best part of counting calories? It's free. Thank you, Loseit.com's iPhone app!

So last night I made Fish Po'Boys. They were quick, delicious, and a healthier version of the deep-fried restaurant versions. It was easy to halve this recipe for two, which is important for our little family.

Start by making a spicy tartar sauce. Totally easy. 
Reduced fat mayo, fresh parsley, gherkins (or relish), grainy mustard, and chili sauce.
Mis everything together- then add tabasco to taste. I added a lot.
Don't be afraid to over-use the hot sauce, it won't overwhelm the other ingredients.
Pat dry fish fillets, then cut them into 1 1/2 inch strips.
I used mahi mahi because I buy it in bulk from Costco.
Flounder might be more appropriate because the fillets will be thinner.
Toss the fish in yellow cornmeal, seasoned with salt & pepper.
Heat oil in a non-stick pan.
Add the coated fish.
Turn the fish to brown each side.
It'll take 7-10 minutes to cook the fish through.
While the fish is browning, prep the other ingredients.
Split & slightly hollow out a baguette.
The two of us used half a baguette.
Spread each half with the spicy tartar sauce.
Top each half with a lettuce leaf, sliced tomato, and the fish.
I served them with a salad, and it was a totally satisfying meal.
Fish Po'Boys
  • 1 pound skinless flounder filets (I used mahi mahi because I had it on hand)
  • 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
  • coarse salt & pepper
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable/canola oil
  • 8-ounce baguette, split and hollowed out slightly
  • spicy tartar sauce
  • lettuce & sliced tomato
  1. Cut the flounder fillets into 1 1/2-inch strips; pat dry. Place in a  medium bowl. Add the cornmeal, season with salt & pepper. Toss to coat.
  2. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the fish on both sides, 7-10 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
  3. Spread both halves of the baguette with the tartar sauce, layer the lettuce, tomato and fish. Cut into 4 portions.
Spicy Tartar Sauce
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayo
  • 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
  • 2 tablespoons chili sauce (it's next to the ketchup in the condiment aisle)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped gherkin pickles (I used relish)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • hot sauce (Tabasco)
  1. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Season with as much or as little hot sauce as you want.
  2. You can make this 2-3 days in advance.
Serves 4.
480 calories per serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment