Friday, July 29, 2011

Nectarine-Raspberry Pie


I decided to try my hand at pie-making again.

I've only made two pies in my entire life; I've only made one pie crust in my entire life. And honestly, I don't ever plan on making another pie crust anytime soon. I hate cutting in butter & rolling dough with a passion.

I use Pillsbury Pie Crusts. I highly recommend them. One day, I'll make my own pie crusts. But not until after I'm married. Assuming I get married someday, and assuming I register for a food processor, and assuming someone buys it for me, but you know what they say about counting your chicks before they hatch...

Start by pitting and slicing 5-6 nectarines. It should equal about 8 cups.
Also, rinse off 2 cups of raspberries.
Toss the fruit with 2/3 cups of sugar.
Cover the bowl with saran wrap and set it aside for 30 minutes.
To keep things neat, I keep the pie crust on waxed paper so I don't have to flour my counter-top.
Two things you should always have, aside from saran wrap and aluminum foil?
Parchment paper and waxed paper. Go stock up.
Drape the crust over a 9" pie pan. 
Trim the edges, then throw it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Grab the fruit and drain it in a large colander. 
Toss it with lemon juice, lemon zest, and cornstarch.
Taste the fruit. Is it tart? Add a little more sugar.
Pour all the fruit into the frozen pie crust.
Now get ready to get fancy.
Unroll the second pie crust, and cut it into 3/4" strips.
I wish I had the skills to verbally explain how to weave a lattice top,
but it's so much easier to use someone else's tutorial.
Here are some step-by-step photos as a guide.
Once you have your lattice top, trim and crimp the edges.
Brush the crust with an egg white, then sprinkle with coarse sparkling sugar.
Unfortunately, I only had rainbow sparkling sugar. Ugh.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place it on the bottom rack. 
Let the baking sheet pre-heat with the oven. 
The foil will serve as a spill-protector for easy clean-up.
Trust me, it will spill over. You WILL want easy clean-up.
Bake the pie for 25 minutes at 425 degrees. 
Reduce the temperature to 375 degrees and bake for another 25-30 minutes. 
Cool for at least two hours.

Raspberry-Nectarine Pie
  • Premade pie-crust 
  • 5-6 nectarines, pitted and sliced
  • 2 cups raspberries
  • 2/3 - 1 cup cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 egg white
  • coarse sparkling sugar
  1. Toss the nectarine slices and raspberries with 2/3 cups sugar in a large bowl. Cover with saran wrap and let sit for 30 minutes.
  2. Unroll the pie crust and drape it over a 9 inch pie pan. Freeze for about 30 minutes.
  3. Drain the fruit in a large colander, and toss with the lemon zest, lemon juice and cornstarch. Taste the fruit; if it's still tart, add the additional sugar. 
  4. Fill the crust with the fruit mixture.
  5. Roll out the other pie crust, and cut it into 3/4" strips with a pizza cutter (I use the side of the crust box as a guide to ensure I have straight lines).
  6. Arrange the lattice top. Trim the excess dough around the edges- allowing a little overhang- then crimp the edges with your fingers (or use the tines of a fork to secure the edges).
  7. Brush the top with an egg white, then sprinkle with coarse sparkling sugar.
  8. Bake on the bottom rack of a preheated 425 degree oven for 25 minutes. Cover the edges with strips of aluminum foil, then reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake for another 25-30 minutes.
  9. Allow the pie to cool for atleast two hours on a wire-rack before serving.
  10. Store at room temperature, loosely covered with saran wrap.

2 comments:

  1. ummm YUM! I love to makes pies and have the arms of a large large woman now from all the crusts made from scratch. totally understand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better save me a piece of that!!!

    Shannie Bannanie

    ReplyDelete