These turned out delicious.
The cupcakes were perfect.
The frosting was perfect.
The little caramel center in the cupcakes was perfect.
I'm making them for every special occasion for the rest of my life.
- 1 18.25 ounce box of Devil's Food Cake Mix (I use Duncan Hines)
- 1 5.9 ounce box of Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 24 frozen Rolos (freeze for at least 2 hours)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line (2) 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In the bowl of a stand-mixer combine all the ingredients. Beat together until smooth and well-combined, about two minutes on medium-speed. OR combine all ingredients in a large bowl and beat with a hand-mixer.
- Divide the batter evenly amongst the liners- approximately 3 tablespoons per cup.
- Gently push a frozen Rolo into the center of the batter and smooth the surface to cover the candy with batter.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, until the top is springy to the touch.
- Cool cupcakes on a wire rack. The middle of the cupcakes might sink- that's okay.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- scant 1/4 cup caramel syrup
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Cream the butter in a stand-mixer, or with an electric hand-mixer. Add the vanilla extract, salt, and caramel syrup and combine well.
- Begin adding in the sugar; mix well after each addition.Add more sugar if the frosting is too creamy.Once all the sugar has been added and thoroughly mixed, frost the cooled cupcakes. Garnish with extra Rolos.
Store cupcakes in the refrigerator. Take them out of the fridge and bring to room temperature one hour before serving.