Monday, February 4, 2013

Banana Oatmeal Muffins

It's been 7 months since my last post! Whoa. Not much has been cooking on Indigo Street, but man, have I been keeping myself busy in other ways...

First, this happened:
Yup, I got pregnant.

Then, this happened:
Yay!!! We're engaged!!!

Then, this happened:
Holy poo.

Milo is 4.5 months old now, but most people don't believe us because he's the size of a 10 month old. I've had to start going to the gym to build up my upper body strength so I can haul that kid around. And.. so I can lose my mom-gut.

Anyway, remember that time circa 2011 when I decided to join Weight Watchers and did so awesome and lost all that weight and and I proudly flaunted my body in a bikini and everyone rejoiced? Just Kidding. I lost 2lbs and posted a bunch of terrible Weight Watchers recipes. Well.. I'm going to do that again. But nix the Weight Watchers. My gym membership is expensive enough, I don't want to add any new expenses to my life. 

I've started tracking calories again (via MyFitnessPal), and I'm hoping to get back to pre-pregnancy weight before Milo hits his 1/2 birthday. That gives me just around 50 days to lose 7lbs. I think that's feasible.  

My first "life change" involves the most important meal of the day: Breakfast. Usually I chug an obscene amount of coffee and forget to eat until around 2pm. Not exactly the healthiest route. I've started pre-making breakfast so I can have a quick bite in the mornings.

I was actually shocked by how tasty these lame little muffins turned out to be. No flour or sugar or butter? Uh... That doesn't sound delicious.. But they were! Miracles do happen. 

Banana Oatmeal Muffins
  • 3 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 cup almond milk (I used unsweetened vanilla)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • Optional mix-ins: mini chocolate chips, blueberries, raisins, cranberries, couple dashes of cinnamon, etc.
  1. Mix together all the ingredients, allow to sit for 5 minutes.
  2. Line muffins tins with paper liners. Evenly distribute batter between 15 muffin liners. 
  3. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until tops are firm to the touch. 
  4. Allow to cool completely, store in an air-tight container in the fridge.
I used chocolate chips in mine so I didn't feel they were lacking in sweetness, but if using raisins or blueberries I recommend using sweetened almond milk or adding a bit of sweetener (sugar, splenda, agave syrup, honey, etc.)

4 comments:

  1. I was so excited to see a new post! I love following your life (and recipes) on the internet. It's slighlty stalker-ish but I knew you before the interet was invented so it's ok. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I was having SuMi withdrawals :-) Love the post and the photos. Thank you for bringing a much-needed smile to my day. Oh, and I'm so going to make those muffins. Missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bake at 375!! Will edit it soon. -SuMi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to try this recipe! Yum! (PS: add me on MyFitnessPal!) xoxo

    ReplyDelete