(my healthy & filling 4 point breakfast!)
I dissected and re-arranged 4 different recipes to come up with this bran muffin. And... It's awesome. Unlike other bran muffins, it's not crumbly, dry or bland. Maybe pumpkin muffins are slightly out of place in the middle of summer, but any muffin that can help keep my on track while I'm trying to get into wedding-shape it welcome in my oven any time of the year.
I didn't think Michael would be a fan of these, but he thought they were pretty good. I thought they were awesome. They put my flour-less banana oatmeal muffins to shame.
Pumpkin Oatmeal Bran Muffins
- 15 oz can pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sugar substitute* (splenda baking blend)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used baby food. It's what I had on hand- I'm a mom now)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups wheat bran (I used All Bran)
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup raisins or craisins
- 1 cup shredded carrots (optional, but I like them!)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 20 muffin tins with paper liners or mist with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix pumpkin, honey, sugar substitute, canola oil and applesauce until well-combined.
3. Add in the eggs and vanilla, mix well.
4. Stir in the wheat bran, oats, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. Fold in the raisins or craisins and carrots (if using).
5. Evenly distribute between 20 muffin tins. They will be close to full.
6. Bake for 17-22* minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. They will still be slightly soft, but firm up when they cool.
7. Allow to cool completely. I prefer to refrigerate these- I like cold muffins.
*I opted to use the Splenda Baking Blend because it is zero points plus on Weight Watchers. You can substitute 3/4 cup white or brown sugar, or use a cup of honey if you'd prefer to avoid artificial sweeteners.
*22-25 minutes. Hmm. That's a total guesstimate. Michael canceled my timer when he put something in the microwave so I have no idea how long I baked these. Oopsies.
Points plus per muffin : 2
Total points plus for ENTIRE recipe: 44
This recipe is extremely versatile- I've added one cup shredded carrots, dried chopped dates, shredded coconut, extra bran, less oatmeal, turned into mini muffins, etc.