- 6 ounces Calimyrna dried figs, stemmed and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Bring the water, sugar and figs to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer- covered- until the figs can easily be pierced with a knife and most of the liquid has evaporated. About 20 minutes.
- Allow the figs to cool slightly before transferring to a food processor or blender. Add the lemon juice and puree until smooth. If the spread is too thick, you can add water, one tablespoon at a time, until it reaches a spreadable consistency.