Shrimp ceviche makes me a little squeamish. What!? Raw shrimp!? What!? It cooks in lime juice!? What!? That doesn't sound legit!
But crab ceviche... totally my thing. Whenever we have a barbecue I request (i.e: demand) that Ronnie & Tiffany bring a giant bowl. I had a serious craving this morning and decided today was the day that I would make it for myself.
Meet my breakfast and lunch.
- 1 (8-ounce) package imitation crab meat, flaked
- 2 large tomatoes (or 3-4 small), chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeno, diced (seed the jalapeno if you want a mild ceviche)
- 2-3 limes, juiced
- salt & pepper to taste
- little shake of garlic powder
- couple dashes of Frank's Red Hot*
Throw everything in a glass or porcelain bowl (preferably not metal or plastic). Chill for one hour. Eat with corn tortilla chips, wheat thins, or lavosh.
*You can use a couple teaspoons of olive oil instead of Frank's if you prefer the way ceviche tastes without it. It's delicious either way.