For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 heaping teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup EACH raspberries, blueberries, blackberries
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour the bottom and sides of a spring pan.
- For the cake: Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar with electric mixture until light. Add eggs one at a time and beat until fluffy. Add vanilla, lemon zest and sour cream and mix well.
- Alternately, add flour mixture and the milk to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Spread half of the batter evenly into prepared pan and smooth the top. Spread berries (thawed & well-drained, if using frozen) on top of batter. Cover berries with the remaining batter and spread the top evenly with a spatula (some of the berries will show through).
- For crumb topping: Combine all ingredients and use fingers to mix and form crumbs.
- Spread crumbs on top of cake and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and cake is golden brown. Cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar and serve at room temperature.
Peach Coffee Cake: substitute peeled, sliced peaches for berries. Orange zest or 1 tsp. orange zest for lemon zest.
Doubling recipe: bake in a 9x13 for 50-60 minutes.